The Historic Preservation Foundation of The Fortnightly (HPFF) is an Illinois not-for-profit corporation that supports preservation of historic Chicago architecture generally and, more specifically, assists in the preservation and maintenance of the landmark Helen and Bryan Lathrop House at 120 East Bellevue Place. It is a separate legal entity.
The House, designed by Charles Follen McKim of McKim, Mead & White for Mr. and Mrs. Bryan Lathrop, was completed in 1892 and has been the home of The Fortnightly of Chicago since 1922. The Fortnightly has long been active in historic preservation and received the prestigious Richard H. Driehaus Award for Stewardship from Landmarks Illinois in 2014.
HPFF also sponsors programs on topics of architectural interest. For example, architects, historians, and preservation experts have spoken on the 1909 Plan of Chicago, restoration and innovation in historic preservation, and the World’s Columbian Exposition.
Established in 1998, HPFF is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. Gifts to HPFF, whether made during a donor’s life or as a bequest, may qualify for a charitable deduction. Those who intend to support HPFF through their estates enjoy membership in the Helen Aldis Lathrop Society.