Learning and friendship for members and their guests
The Fortnightly has provided intellectual and cultural enrichment from its beginning. The first programs, then called “literary exercises,” covered literature, history, and music. Over the years, interests broadened. The Club now offers thought- and discussion-provoking talks, seminars, lectures, dinners, performances, and workshops by an impressive array of presenters.
- Ian Wardropper, Director of the Frick Collection, on Henry Clay Frick’s transformation from coal processor to art collector
- Tim Calkins, Clinical Professor of Marketing at Northwestern University, on how to produce the perfect Super Bowl ad
- Architect Jeanne Gang on buildings and environments for better learning
- A seminar on votes for women with historian Rima Lunin Schultz, historian Lori Osborne, and associate professor Lisa G. Materson from University of California at Davis
- Professor Robert Pape from the University of Chicago on social media and terrorism